This blog is a chronicle of my journey in pursuit of my goal of earning a PhD in Biology (or a masters degree in Applied Mathematics.) I have a Bachelors degree in mathematics and, before applying to the program, I plan to review basic biology, linear algebra, all three levels of calculus, and maybe learn how to value financial derivatives. I am also learning to use the freely downloadable program, Blender, to do computer animation. In addition to self-study, I work full-time as a university administrator. I have my hands full but figure that I will learn these subjects better if I write about them. Also, I am taking a class in Mandarin Chinese toward my goal of becoming fluent in Chinese but I don't know that I will include these efforts here in this blog. The best way to learn something is by teaching so the idea is that I will teach what I have learned via the blog. As you are my audience/students, feel free to ask me questions as needed.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Notes on Fine-Tuning My Process of Studying



I used a utility knife to cut out pages from my giant biology textbook (the one that looks like it's on steroids) and hole-punched the pages. Now I can carry just the sections I am reading at any one time with me in my binder and study on the commute to work. Hopefully, this will result in more frequent blogposts as I am able to go through material more rapidly. My next posting on Biology will the first post on the chemical foundation of life from the chapter in the text, The Atoms and Molecules of Ancient Earth.

No comments: