This blog is a chronicle of my journey in pursuit of my goal of earning a PhD in Biology (or a masters degree in Applied Mathematics.) I have a Bachelors degree in mathematics and, before applying to the program, I plan to review basic biology, linear algebra, all three levels of calculus, and maybe learn how to value financial derivatives. I am also learning to use the freely downloadable program, Blender, to do computer animation. In addition to self-study, I work full-time as a university administrator. I have my hands full but figure that I will learn these subjects better if I write about them. Also, I am taking a class in Mandarin Chinese toward my goal of becoming fluent in Chinese but I don't know that I will include these efforts here in this blog. The best way to learn something is by teaching so the idea is that I will teach what I have learned via the blog. As you are my audience/students, feel free to ask me questions as needed.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Current Plan

Clearly, I have not been posting frequently as I had hoped. There is just too little time in the day...I have barely had the time for my Chinese studies and I'm taking a class in that. My current hope/plan is to finish a year of Chinese in the Spring and then to take a year of Biology during the summer. I will only be able to study Biology over the summer if this is alright with my department chair and if summer studies are covered by my tuition waiver (classes are so darn expensive). I would have to be away from my office for three hours every morning throughout the summer. If I can do this then I will next take Molecular and Cellular Biology in the fall, as well as studying general Chemistry and Physics on my own and actually applying to graduate programs. I am, and have been, most fascinated by the study of genetics. If this actually works out, then I will begin what would then be an at least 5 year journey toward earning my PhD. I'll have to figure out also where I want to apply. If this all worked out, I would have a PhD in 2015 when I'm 34. Ugh...I don't want to think about that.

No comments: